Writing Prompt: Effective Openings
This week’s writing prompt is all about constructing effective openings, and drawing your reader into your work as quickly as possible.
The Job of the Opening Paragraph
- Hooks or engages readers
- Makes promises
- Voice – author’s point of view toward subject
- Point of view – first, second, or third
- Form – blog, story, argument
- Gives the piece direction
- Establishes subject and limits it
- Raises narrative question
- What problem is to be solved?
- Establishes tone
(Please note, the above embedded slides look slightly different as they have been converted via Google Docs.)
Right click here and choose ‘save as…’ or ‘save link as…’ to save the presentation.
Let me know how you construct an effective opening!
If you found this writing prompt useful, why not check out the previous prompts: