Writing Prompt: Effective Openings
This week’s writing prompt is all about constructing effective openings, and drawing your reader into your work as quickly as possible.
The Job of the Opening Paragraph
- Hooks or engages readers
- Makes promises
- Voice – author’s point of view toward subject
- Point of view – first, second, or third
- Form – blog, story, argument
- Gives the piece direction
- Establishes subject and limits it
- Raises narrative question
- What problem is to be solved?
- Establishes tone
Let me know how you construct an effective opening!
If you found this writing prompt useful, why not check out the previous prompts: