#BlogFlash2012: Day Twenty Three – Cooking / Terri’s Kitchen: Vegetable Soup

• Cooking

#BlogFlash2012: Day Twenty Three – Cooking / Terri’s Kitchen: Vegetable Soup

#BlogFlash2012

I’m delighted to be hosting #BlogFlash2012 – 30 Days, 30 Prompts 30 Posts.

If you’d like to jump on board, it’s not too late! Just check out the #BlogFlash2012 page for more information.

You can also follow via the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter.

Don’t forget to leave your “Day Twenty Three – Cooking” post link in the comments below so I can stop by!

#BlogFlash2012: Day Twenty Three – Cooking

Cooking

I’ll admit it: I’m addicted to Chopped. It’s not the mild entertaining drama that interests me; it’s the creativity. A hobbyist chef, I love the challenge of a fixing a meal from odds and ends. It’s fun to create an imaginary dish with the often strange ingredients in the Chopped hamper-blue foot chicken?- see what the contestants conjure up, and listen to the commentary from the panel of professional chefs.

Dave recently met a snarky restaurateur who informed him that, eh-hem, the show is staged. As if anyone watches reality TV for its ‘reality.’ We watch for the creativity, the mind-numbing fun, to laugh or, yes, to learn more about cooking. Or maybe it’s that delicious Ted Allen look, just before he lifts the lid from the dish voted chopped. We do not-repeat do not-watch because we think reality TV is real.

Word count: 145

Vegetable Soup

Here’s a recipe for vegetable soup, the ultimate–admittedly non-creative–throw-together-from-whatever-happens-to-be-on-hand, yet tasty, down-to-earth dish.

Vegetable Soup

Served with crusty French bread or corn muffins, this healthy vegetable soup makes for a hearty and delicious fall dinner. It’s also quick and easy to make.

2 TBSP olive oil

4 cloves garlic, crushed

1 large yellow or Vidalia onion, diced

2 TBSP crushed red pepper

4 largeYukongold potatoes, peeled and chopped

1 lb carrots, peeled and chopped

2 large heads Chinese cabbage, chopped

1 lb. green beans or haricot verts, sliced

2 lb. zucchini, chopped (do not peel)

1 lb. bag frozen corn

2 large cans kidney beans

2 quarts vegetable stock (for non-vegetarian version, substitute beef stock)

1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes

2 large bay leaves

½ lb elbow macaroni (more noodles will make a thicker soup, but too many will absorb too much broth)

Heat oil in large pot. Add garlic, onion and crushed red pepper. Saute until onion turns translucent. Add potatoes, carrots and chopped cabbage. Stir until cabbage turns soft. Add the rest of the vegetables. Saute for 1-2 minutes. Add kidney beans, stock, tomatoes and bay leaves. Cook for about 45 minutes or until vegetables are soft. About 10 minutes before you’re ready to serve, add noodles. Cook until noodles are done to taste. The longer the noodles are cooked, the softer they will become. If desired, sprinkle with crushed red pepper and parmesan cheese.

Please do share your #BlogFlash2012 thoughts (and post links) in comments!

2015-02-05T13:21:30+00:00August 23rd, 2012|Categories: #BlogFlash2012, Recipes, Terri's Kitchen|Tags: , , , , |

About the Author:

Terri Giuliano Long, a frequent guest blogger, with appearances on hundreds of blogs, is a contributing writer for IndieReader and also wrote for Her Circle eZine. She lives with her family on the East Coast. Her debut novel, In Leah’s Wake, winner of the Global eBook Award, Popular Fiction, and Indie Discovery Award, Literary Fiction, has sold over 130,000 copies worldwide.

35 Comments

1. Christina Krieger August 23, 2012 at 4:18 am - Reply

I LOVE the show Chopped! I watch it all the time. I like trying to guess who will be chopped, lol.

Here's my day 23: http://christinakrieger.com/2012/08/23/blogflash-

2. Elisabeth Crisp August 23, 2012 at 4:20 am - Reply

Yum! I can smell that soup.

3. Lisa Shambrook August 23, 2012 at 5:14 am - Reply
  4. Ruth / Bullish August 23, 2012 at 6:07 am - Reply

I find that half the fun of cooking is the creative aspect of it, how the raw ingredients look in their matching white bowls, how evenly the colors are distributed in the final dish, how pretty it looks dished onto the plates. And now, I'm off to gather ingredients for your vege soup!! Thank you!!

My link for the day is here: http://www.sweetbananaink.com/2012/08/23/blog-fla

5. Melina Gillies August 23, 2012 at 6:20 am - Reply

I am so HUNGRY after reading your post, I LOVE Vegetable soup!

Here is my culinary delight for the day:

6. Julie Jordan Scott August 23, 2012 at 8:06 am - Reply

I've saved this recipe! Now I didn't post a recipe on my blog today, I just told a little story about my adventure in feeding my picky daughter lunch in high school.

7. carlie cullen August 23, 2012 at 9:18 am - Reply

Never seen Chopped, but interesting post anyway. Can't wait to try that cool recipe though – love soups in the winter!!

Here's my take on today's prompt http://wp.me/p1UhOl-ac

I'm a little behind visiting blogs and answering comments left on mine – I had a few technology issues yesterday then when I got it sorted, I had a 5 hour phone call from a friend in the US. Please bear with me, I will catch up with you all! :-)

8. andrea August 23, 2012 at 9:53 am - Reply

I've never heard of that show but then again I'm not really big on cooking (unlike my mum, who's awesome, bless her)

Here's my post for today: http://word2live.wordpress.com/2012/08/23/day-23-… an excerpt from a story I'm writing these days.

9. Angela D. August 23, 2012 at 10:47 am - Reply

I've never seen Chopped but I think that is one that my dad has mentioned before. I am so not a cook.

The vegetable soup sounds really good and I'm thinking it might get some different veggies into my picky family. I'll be saving that one to try when the weather cools off.

10. Afsaneh August 23, 2012 at 11:19 am - Reply

You've made me hungry now with your fabulous looking recipe, are you happy, Terri?!

Haha, my entry is a little slow today but I'll be picking up the pace soon!

11. Heidi Baker August 23, 2012 at 12:17 pm - Reply

Love, love, love the food channel! I've included two posts today, one from my WIP and another from a while ago when most of my blogs were about food. It includes a good recipe for Chicken Divan.

12. LoveTheBadGuy August 23, 2012 at 12:21 pm - Reply

Here's my story for the day:

13. Lizzie Koch August 23, 2012 at 12:44 pm - Reply

Thanks for the recipe. We have reality Tv cooking shows here. My fav is Master Chef. There's a celebrity version too which is on at the mo. Love it!! very entertaining as well as creative.

Here's my attempt at cooking (something I don't do as I'm not very good. Thankfully my Hubby is). xx

14. Candy Little August 23, 2012 at 2:31 pm - Reply

I love Chopped too. Actually I love the Food Network channel.

15. […] #BlogFlash2012: Day Twenty Three – Cooking / Terri’s Kitchen: Vegetable Soup […]

16. Eighty Six August 23, 2012 at 11:15 pm - Reply

I also dig "Chopped" and would love to participate in a similar show but for cocktails.

Also challenging: post-apocalyptic cooking:

17. David M Brown August 23, 2012 at 11:28 pm - Reply

I haven't seen Chopped.

We watch MasterChef in the UK which is always good :)

Great post today Terri :)

18. Terri Giuliano Long August 24, 2012 at 1:19 pm - Reply

Thank you, Christina! I'm very intrigued by your post today – what on earth is happening to poor Eliza?

19. Terri Giuliano Long August 24, 2012 at 1:21 pm - Reply

Thank you for your recipe too, Elisabeth!

20. Terri Giuliano Long August 24, 2012 at 1:23 pm - Reply

Thank you, Lisa! Your 'Cooking' post is beautiful!

21. Terri Giuliano Long August 24, 2012 at 1:39 pm - Reply

That's true, Ruth! A couple of months ago I blogged about visiting the Parkway Grill, Pasadena. The creme brulee was amazing, but half of its magic was the stunning presentation!

22. Terri Giuliano Long August 24, 2012 at 2:30 pm - Reply

I could echo the same thoughts, Melina! I loved your post and that picture… wow!

23. Terri Giuliano Long August 24, 2012 at 2:38 pm - Reply

Thank you so much, Julie!

24. Terri Giuliano Long August 24, 2012 at 2:47 pm - Reply

Thank you so much, Carlie! I'm a little behind too (this week has been a catch up after being away from home for three weeks) so I completely understand!

25. Terri Giuliano Long August 24, 2012 at 2:53 pm - Reply

A creatively culinary vampire – I love it, Andrea!

26. Terri Giuliano Long August 24, 2012 at 2:56 pm - Reply

Thank you so much, Angela! I hope you enjoy the soup!

27. Terri Giuliano Long August 24, 2012 at 2:58 pm - Reply

Thank you so much, Afsaneh. Your entry for 'Cooking' was great!

28. Terri Giuliano Long August 24, 2012 at 3:00 pm - Reply

Thank you so much, Heidi! I love collecting recipes so it's always wonderful to find a new one!

29. Terri Giuliano Long August 24, 2012 at 3:02 pm - Reply

Thank you so much!

30. Terri Giuliano Long August 24, 2012 at 3:04 pm - Reply

What a fun entry, Lizzie! I loved it!

31. Terri Giuliano Long August 24, 2012 at 3:05 pm - Reply

Thank you so much for the link, Candy!

32. Terri Giuliano Long August 24, 2012 at 3:07 pm - Reply

Cocktails? That would be so much fun! A little like Tactical Bacon…

33. Joy Keeney August 24, 2012 at 6:05 pm - Reply

Love watching Chopped as well. Soup recipe sounds good, am going to have to try it once it cools down.

I'm a day late (as usual but here is my Cooking blog)

34. Terri Giuliano Long August 25, 2012 at 4:34 pm - Reply

Thank you so much, David!

I'd love to hear your thoughts!