#Blogflash2013: Day Three – Innocence

• #BlogFlash2013 (March): Day 3 - Innocence

#Blogflash2013: Day Three – Innocence

Pin It

Welcome to the second BlogFlash event! The first (#BlogFlash2012) was so well received that we decided to run it twice yearly. It’s a great opportunity to get creative, meet other bloggers and get a new audience. Whether you join us for the full month or just a few days, the main aim is to have fun and be inspired. Anything else is a bonus. Good luck!

Upcoming prompts ~~ Twitter: #BlogFlash2013 ~~ Twitter: @tglong ~~ Facebook: Terri ~~ Facebook: BlogFlash

#BlogFlash2013: Day Three – Innocence

#BlogFlash2013 (March): Day 3 - InnocenceNow that the initial shock had worn off, Justine realized that her sister and Todd probably had robbed the deli in Camden. Why else would they have left in such a hurry? Still, it didn’t make her sister a bad person-did it? What if Leah had been motivated by hunger? Or she was sick? Needed money to get medical attention? Circumstances could turn anyone into a thief. Justine had always believed right and wrong to be absolute. She saw now she’d been wrong. The possibilities rolled round and round in her head.

Since Christmas, Justine had lost eight pounds. She could slide three fingers between her belly and the waistband of her old jeans. This morning, she’d snagged a pair of jeans Leah left behind. Justine found them rolled in a ball at the back of her sister’s closet. Leah’s jeans fit her perfectly through the waist and hips. She rolled up the hems. She wasn’t stealing her sister’s jeans. She was borrowing them until her sister returned.

She’d brought Leah’s school picture into her room and set it on her desk, along with the ceramic ashtray she’d made for her sister. Justine pressed her hand into the palm of the ceramic ashtray, her long fingers curling over the edges. Hard to believe she’d made the ashtray herself. Hard to believe her hands had ever been that small.

Squatting, she lifted her comforter and, slipping her hand under the mattress, extracted the foil package. She withdrew a flattened cigarette and tapped it on her palm to reshape it.

That she’d conjured the nerve to buy cigarettes shocked her. She’d overheard kids at school talking about a guy at the Citgo station down the street who’d sell cigarettes to anybody, no ID necessary. During lunch period, she trekked to the station. Until she reached the counter and handed the attendant her money, she wasn’t sure if she would go through with it. She’d thought she’d chicken out.

Opening her window to let in some air, Justine spotted a fox. When Dog was young, she loved to chase foxes. With animals her own size, she was a wimp. Whenever she saw a coyote, she cried. If they were walking, Dog would stop cold. Justine would kneel, her arms wrapped protectively around Dog’s chest, until the coyote retreated.

Usually, Justine brushed away thoughts about Dog. It was easier to avoid thinking about the things you had no power to change. Thinking about Dog made her sad and what good did that do? Maybe that was why Leah had played soccer for all those years. So she didn’t have to think. With sports, you have no time to reflect. You just do.

She lit the cigarette, took a long drag, inhaling deeply, and tapped the ashes into the palm of the ashtray. A breeze blew across her room, carrying a feint odor of burning logs. When she’d smoked the cigarette to the filter, she crushed the butt in the palm of her ceramic hand, and spritzed the air with Leah’s cloying floral perfume.

From In Leah’s Wake

Next prompt: Books (6th March)

Taking part? Please leave your post link in comments!

Related posts

Please note, the views of the post author - and indeed anyone who guest posts on Day by Day - are not necessarily indicative of the views of Terri Giuliano Long and comments are moderated to filter spam/profanity only.

"Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion."
Pin It
2015-02-05T11:56:00+00:00 March 5th, 2013|Categories: #BlogFlash2013|Tags: , |

About the Author:

Terri Giuliano Long, a frequent guest blogger, with appearances on hundreds of blogs, is a contributing writer for IndieReader and also wrote for Her Circle eZine. She lives with her family on the East Coast. Her debut novel, In Leah’s Wake, winner of the Global eBook Award, Popular Fiction, and Indie Discovery Award, Literary Fiction, has sold over 130,000 copies worldwide.

41 Comments

1. cabingoddess March 5, 2013 at 1:14 am - Reply

Oh Terri, now you have me curious!! I read it three times. It is a perfect statement of innocence. It's the se kind I was talking about in mine. But I focused on my eldest daughter. Thanks again for this awesome flash fiction feat!! http://cabingoddess.com/2013/03/blogflash2013-fut

2. Miss_Biggun March 5, 2013 at 1:42 am - Reply

A brilliant play on words. Mine is very dark at the injustice of judgement.

3. Schledia Benefield March 5, 2013 at 1:47 am - Reply

I've got to get that book! I decided to write a poem for today. http://schlediabenefield.blogspot.com/2013/03/inn

4. Donna L Sadd March 5, 2013 at 3:22 am - Reply
  5. tasselflower March 5, 2013 at 3:28 am - Reply

Heh, this prompt seems to dig up the poets of many of us. Like myself. My poem is here:Â&nbsp ;http://mervi.helmikuu.net/2013-03-day-3-innocence-blogflash2013

• Miss_Biggun March 5, 2013 at 5:42 am - Reply

Thank you for the mention and your lovely comment..

6. LibraryGirlRead March 5, 2013 at 5:04 am - Reply

Great teaser Terri! Heading to Goodreads to add your book to my constantly growing list…

My post is a short one today and definitely comes with the disclaimer "I am not a writer!"

7. Kimberly Gould March 5, 2013 at 5:15 am - Reply

Nice snip! Definitely fitting the theme. Mine is about the innocence of a pristine page. A little odd, but there you go. Once again, I apologize to everyone for STILL not getting to your blogs. I will try tonight, really, really I will!!

• Miss_Biggun March 5, 2013 at 7:51 am - Reply

@Kimberly Gould
      This is a beautiful post, such clever comparisons.

But It keeps coming up with error and won't allow me to post a comment even though you have approved me…

• Kimberly Gould March 5, 2013 at 7:53 am - Reply

@Miss_Biggun Oh, bother. We had to jack up the captcha so far to finally fend off the spammers that I'm not surprised it STILL isn't working. :( I'll chat with my tech guy (aka husband) and see if he can do anything.
        Thank you for your comment!!

• Miss_Biggun March 5, 2013 at 2:14 pm - Reply

@Kimberly Gould No worries, I thought you would want to know x

8. A_K_Taylor March 5, 2013 at 5:40 am - Reply

A nice snippet at just one shade of innocence. Here's my post for today: http://www.backwoodsauthor.com/2013/03/05/blogflash-2013-day-3-innocence/

9. Lesley Beeton March 5, 2013 at 6:27 am - Reply

Innocence conjures up pure, white thoughts, but many of the posts are quite dark, sinister.

10. lizzie_loodles March 5, 2013 at 7:16 am - Reply

When I was in the police, we were told there are two types of thief; the needy and the greedy. And you're right, it does not make you a bad person if in need. great piece of writing. x

11. Miss_Biggun March 5, 2013 at 9:14 am - Reply

@Kimberly Gould No worries, I thought you would want to know x

12. Kathy March 5, 2013 at 9:28 am - Reply

I am really enjoying reading everyone's posts! today I went a little over the word count. I just couldn't shorten it without losing a piece of the story behind. http://www.todayshullabaloo.blogspot.com

13. moha_doha March 5, 2013 at 11:34 am - Reply

Ah innocence. Why are we only interested in it when it's lost? I also brought in my fiction – a Work in Progress manuscript to talk about today's [email protected]

14. elenchera March 5, 2013 at 4:09 pm - Reply

Justine is such a good character in ILW. Really felt for her watching everyone else in the family do nothing but make matters worse. Justine certainly loses much of her innocence by the end.

Here is Mr Kain's efforts for today. http://diaryofmrkain.com/2013/03/blogflash2013-day-three-innocence/

15. Rhonda Lee March 5, 2013 at 6:31 pm - Reply

Check out Rhonda Lee's newest blog!! http://rhondaleeauthor.wordpress.com/2013/03/06/b

16. Joy Keeney March 5, 2013 at 7:00 pm - Reply

Thank you for checking out today's post…see ya tomorrow http://joykeeney.wordpress.com/2013/03/05/blogfla

17. […] #Blogflash2013: Day Three – Innocence […]

18. carlie2011c March 7, 2013 at 8:26 am - Reply

Desperately playing catch up here! I've posted all the pieces on my blog but only just able to post the links on here (5 days later than everyone else – grrr). Here's mine for Day 3 http://wp.me/p1UhOl-hf

• tglong March 7, 2013 at 1:57 pm - Reply

I'm so sorry Carlie! Was it the comment system?

19. tglong March 7, 2013 at 1:58 pm - Reply

Thank you for the link, Joy!

20. tglong March 7, 2013 at 1:59 pm - Reply

Thanks Rhonda!

21. tglong March 7, 2013 at 2:00 pm - Reply

Thank you so much, David! That means a lot!

22. tglong March 7, 2013 at 2:08 pm - Reply

How intriguing! Thank you!

23. tglong March 7, 2013 at 2:09 pm - Reply

Please don't worry, Kathy! It's wonderful that you were inspired to write more!

24. tglong March 7, 2013 at 2:09 pm - Reply

Thank you so much, Lizzie! I don't think we can judge desperation until we've been there.

25. tglong March 7, 2013 at 2:10 pm - Reply

Yes, you're right Lesley!

26. tglong March 7, 2013 at 2:12 pm - Reply

Thanks Amanda!

27. tglong March 7, 2013 at 2:12 pm - Reply

Thank you so much, Angela – that's so kind!

28. tglong March 7, 2013 at 2:14 pm - Reply

Thank you, Kriss! I'm so glad you're enjoying it!

29. tglong March 7, 2013 at 2:14 pm - Reply

Very intriguing! Thank you for the link.

30. tglong March 7, 2013 at 2:18 pm - Reply

Thank you, Schledia!

31. tglong March 7, 2013 at 2:18 pm - Reply

Thank you so much, Donna!

32. […] #Blogflash2013: Day Three – Innocence […]

33. […] #Blogflash2013: Day Three – Innocence […]

34. […] #Blogflash2013: Day Three – Innocence […]

35. CrystalSchall March 13, 2013 at 11:25 pm - Reply

I’m up to day 3, soon to day 4, and going higher from there until I catch up.

I'd love to hear your thoughts!