#BlogFlash2012: Day Twenty Seven – History

• History

#BlogFlash2012: Day Twenty Seven – History

#BlogFlash2012

I’m delighted to be hosting #BlogFlash2012 – 30 Days, 30 Prompts 30 Posts.

If you’d like to jump on board, it’s not too late! Just check out the #BlogFlash2012 page for more information.

You can also follow via the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter.

Don’t forget to leave your “Day Twenty Seven” post link in the comments below so I can stop by!

#BlogFlash2012: Day Twenty Seven – History

History

When my father was growing up in the ’40s storefront signs proclaimed, ‘No Italians, No Dogs.’ If caught on the ‘right’ side of the tracks, police shooed the Italian kids out, forcing them to return to their own ghettoized neighborhood, where they belonged. Jobs were scarce and living conditions, my grandmother always said, were worse here than in her native village, where at least there were lights.

Today’s immigrants face their own sets of hardships and challenges. But for ignorance, history need not repeat itself. We can instead be a welcoming nation, recognizing that diversity fosters innovation and adds color and light to the vibrant fabric of American life-an abiding source of hope and opportunity for all.

Word count: 118

Please do share your #BlogFlash2012 thoughts (and post links) in comments!

2015-02-05T13:35:12+00:00August 27th, 2012|Categories: #BlogFlash2012|Tags: , |

About the Author:

Terri Giuliano Long, a frequent guest blogger, with appearances on hundreds of blogs, is a contributing writer for IndieReader and also wrote for Her Circle eZine. She lives with her family on the East Coast. Her debut novel, In Leah’s Wake, winner of the Global eBook Award, Popular Fiction, and Indie Discovery Award, Literary Fiction, has sold over 130,000 copies worldwide.

34 Comments

1. Donna L. Sadd August 27, 2012 at 6:35 am - Reply

Wow, this piece hit close to home Terri. My young grandmother and her sister, brothers, mother and father landed in Brooklyn at that time and Italians were definitely the 'low men on the totem pole,' relegated to tenement railroad apartments.

On a lighter note, here's my Day 27 post:

• Terri Giuliano Long August 28, 2012 at 7:50 am - Reply

Thank you so much, Donna. It's sad to think that although we make so much progress, in other ways we don't move forward at all. We must keep learning!

2. Lisa Shambrook August 27, 2012 at 7:31 am - Reply

May we always learn from History…

3. Ruth / Bullish August 27, 2012 at 7:47 am - Reply

Terrific post! So interesting to hear/learn our family's histories. My grandfather suffered ridicule and employment hardships for having married a Native American but today, here in the same county, that same tribe has grown into great political and financial prominence! :)

My link for the day is here: http://www.sweetbananaink.com/2012/08/27/blog-fla

• Terri Giuliano Long August 28, 2012 at 8:07 am - Reply

Exactly, Ruth! We need to learn from our history, not simply shift our prejudices as we move from one generation to the next. I hope those future generations will learn from the mistakes of the former.

4. carlie cullen August 27, 2012 at 9:32 am - Reply

Hi Terri, I didn't realise Italian immigrants were treated that badly in America. I guess, thinking about it, when the UK first had Pakistani immigrants coming in, they were treated in a similar way. I totally agree with your sentiments in your final sentence.

Here's my post link for today: http://wp.me/p1UhOl-bd

5. Lesley Beeton August 27, 2012 at 9:34 am - Reply

That's why I find modern history so fascinating. Things we learnt about history on our grandmother's knee x.

6. Eighty Six August 27, 2012 at 9:42 am - Reply

Yes. There's been enough of that. Immigrants don't get to say: "I don't like them immigrants." Especially since we just killed off most of the natives anyway.

One of my biggest concerns about moving away from Seattle, a deliciously culturally diverse town, was raising kids in a more uni-color community.

But pleasantly, I found myself at a first birthday party not long ago where Korean, Japanese, Spanish and of course Czech were all being spoken. And you know the food was good.

Because destroying the world is hard.

• Terri Giuliano Long August 28, 2012 at 8:34 am - Reply

Thank you so much, Eighty Six. Your posts are very thought-provoking (from both a life and a writing perspective) and this one was certainly no exception!

7. andrea August 27, 2012 at 11:20 am - Reply

Being an immigrant myself, I can totally relate. Even if today, especially where I live (Belfast, UK) there are no discrimination against English-speaking foreigners, you still feel the distance.

Anyways, I've combined the last 2 days into one post. (I completely forgot blogging yesterday :) ) Here it is: http://word2live.wordpress.com/2012/08/27/day-262

• Terri Giuliano Long August 28, 2012 at 8:36 am - Reply

I'm so sorry that you've experienced that distance, Andrea. I really hope in time we can stop perceiving differences so negatively, and instead embrace them!

8. Lizzie Koch August 27, 2012 at 11:22 am - Reply

Lovely pics Terri. Maybe WWII had something to do with the 'No Italian's'. Although just could be plain ignorance. Families as well as countries were being torn apart then which is why communities should have stuck together. We still haven't learnt which is extremely sad.

Here's my post

9. Christina Krieger August 27, 2012 at 11:26 am - Reply

Great post, as usual!

Here's my day 27: http://christinakrieger.com/2012/08/27/blogflash-

10. LoveTheBadGuy August 27, 2012 at 11:50 am - Reply

It is absolutely amazing some of the things people thought were "right" a few decades ago. And even now, I'm sure future generations will look back and be equally appalled at some aspects of our lives.

History — a great prompt. :)

11. Amanda August 27, 2012 at 12:32 pm - Reply

I love hearing history from those who were actually there. Not loving the actual content so much. Racism is stupid. http://www.livinglearninglovinglife.com/2012/08/b

12. Angela D. August 27, 2012 at 2:28 pm - Reply

History is fascinating especially when you can hear the stories from those who lived it.

13. Afsaneh August 27, 2012 at 2:42 pm - Reply

Do you know, today's entry has been the hardest, so far!

Hope you appreciate it ;)

Loved yours as usual, Terri!

14. Julie Jordan Scott August 27, 2012 at 4:27 pm - Reply

Yet the children's faces look bright, optimistic, hopeful. Love that resilience and YES! may we look at people who seek the American ideal with compassion & understanding.

I enjoyed this prompt, Terri. I will miss this challenge!!

• Terri Giuliano Long August 28, 2012 at 9:37 am - Reply

Thank you so much, Julie! I'll miss it too! I'm thrilled to have found so many great people and blogs to follow.

15. […] Day 27 of the BlogFlash2012 Challenge, folks, and today I’ve written a love-story… Of sorts. It wouldn’t be “Me” if it weren’t a touch dark, now would it? I hope you enjoy, and any comments or constructive criticism is always welcome. […]

16. Heidi Baker August 27, 2012 at 5:49 pm - Reply

People always ask me where I'm from, as if it matters. I have a Russian friend who works at a shop who gets so sick of it she tells them Texas, just to see their faces.

As to the prompts, thanks to all who have commented! And, in case it isn't clear, these are not in any particular order. I just pull from my WIP as needed, or write something using my characters.

I do love the few blogs that these prompts have been worked into a singular storyline! Maybe I'll try that another challenge.

• Terri Giuliano Long August 28, 2012 at 9:50 am - Reply

Thank you so much, Heidi! I've loved the variety of posts on your blog and across all the blogs in general. It's been a wonderful month!

17. Joy Keeney August 28, 2012 at 4:59 pm - Reply

In true me fashion day 27 is a day late…but still here!!

18. Joy Keeney August 28, 2012 at 9:10 pm - Reply

[…] #BlogFlash2012: Day Twenty Seven – History […]

19. […] #BlogFlash2012: Day Twenty Seven – History […]

I'd love to hear your thoughts!